Thursday, June 1, 2017

Sometimes you just need a massage

My intent has always been to write every Sunday to be consistent. Unfortunately life got in the way this past Sunday. Some how I tweaked my neck. For the past week I have been unable to turn my head with out pain. Sometimes with training things like this happen and you have no idea how it happened. This was the case for me. I was using Advil, Tylenol and a heating pad for days and it did not seem to be getting better. Saturday I had a 5k. I knew running was not in the cards as it would just make it worse. Rather than forfeit the race or the experience, my friend and I just walked it at a brisk pace. We chatted the entire time and before we knew it 3.1 miles were done. It was fun, and I know that getting out there and moving was better than sitting on the couch. Always remember that.

Sunday my neck was still sore and stiff. Sitting up from a prone position was difficult.  My husband suggested a massage. This is something that I have done in the past while training, but had neglected to add to my training this time around.  After the massage my neck every day since has gotten better. Today it is almost 100%. My point to this short blog post is to remind everyone working out is great, but you also need to take care of yourself. This holds true whether training for a specific sport or just your normal wear and tear on the body from daily workouts. YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. Massages are good way to do that. Just like drinking water and stretching, massages can make daily training easier. Don't wait until you actually have an injury like I did. With my training I am going to include monthly massage and hopefully I don't have anymore setbacks. Just remember do what is right for you, listen to your body and life is easier. :)

Well, I hope everyone is having a great week, as always all comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment