Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Fear


I am grateful for colorful nail polish J

 What you are grateful for day to day may change, but whatever you are grateful for write it down. Many times it will make you smile when you need to smile most.

Today I am talking about FEAR. This is a difficult subject for me since I have General Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and Panic Disorder. Fear, for me, is different.  Fear is a part of my daily life. I seem to be afraid of something all the time.  Fear for me is the root of all my excuses. These are just some examples.  I can’t run because potentially injuring myself. Insanity (high interval training work out DVD’s) looks too scary. What if it is to hard on my body and I have a heart attack? Seems pretty extreme doesn’t it? Hell even walking across a busy street my brain will go to the extreme. This is the way someone’s brain works when you have GAD. You are constantly taking a situation and thinking what the worse possible scenario is. Therapists call it Catastrophizing.  Looking at a situation and thinking something catastrophic is going to happen even when there is no basis for it.

 I don’t let it beat me though. I use deep breathing exercises to calm me down when I can feel myself starting to get anxious. I also use my Cognitive Behavioral Therapy instructions as a means to talk me down from my metaphorical ledge.  I have a much better hold on it than I did years ago or I wouldn’t even be trying to train for half marathons. There are those who have GAD and panic disorder much worse than me and it can be debilitating.  Thankfully with the therapy I have had this is not the case with me anymore.

 I will not allow Fear to control what I do in life. Life has not limits and anything you want to do you can do! As long as you don’t allow fear or excuses to derail you from what you really want to do. Have a wonderful week, and as always enjoy the journey.
.
 

P.S. Remember anything I talk about in my blog is my opinion from my own experience. I am not a doctor or trainer.  I am the same as you, fumbling along in life to make my life better because we all deserve that. I implore you though if you need help get help. You deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment