Friday, October 25, 2013

Meditation


 
I am grateful for insightful friends

 I had been struggling with getting quality sleep for a couple weeks now.  This in turn was affecting, not only me getting my mileage in, but also the quality of training I was getting. I had been talking to my friend Andrea about this during that time. She asked me to meet with her on a break on Thursday afternoon, because she had something for me. My friend Andrea is very much into yoga and meditation and she gave me meditation or mala beads. They are 108 beads that are in a necklace formation and help center you when you meditate.  You chose a calming mantra and go from bead to bead saying his mantra. She and her husband had made them for me. I was stunned. I am not used to others being concerned for me, and even with my anxiety and depression I am usually the strong silent independent type. So, to receive such a gift literally left me speechless. Which if you ask any of my friends so not like me at all! J

If I am being honest meditation is very hard for me. I have a hard time keeping my thoughts centered. Usually my mind is racing thinking about things I need to do an hour from now or the next day. Getting my brain to calm down is really hard. This is why I was having a hard time sleeping my brain won’t shut up. At this point I was taking a sleep aide and anti-anxiety just to get to sleep. This is fine as my doctor had prescribed it to me. I didn’t like doing it, as I didn’t feel like I was getting quality sleep.  So, when I received this gift I researched Mantra’s and came up with one that fit me.  Then 15 minutes before bedtime I took a half of a sleep aide only and meditated using the beads and my mantra.  What happened? I had the best nights sleep in probably a month. Woke up early feeling refreshed and did a short morning meditation and got a quick run in. Believe me when I say that rarely happens! When it does I am usually very lethargic and literally dragging myself out of bed. Today though felt completely refreshed and ready for whatever the day brought.

I may not know much about meditation but after today I am going to make a real effort to fit it into my morning and nightly routine. Thank you so much Andrea for this unexpected gift. I think it will help with my training but in the bigger picture I think it will help decrease my anxiety and my depression. Well, just wanted to share my experience with you all. Have a great weekend and enjoy the journey.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment