Friday, December 27, 2013

Goals


Thankful for positive thinking

 
With the start of the new year everyone will be starting their New Year’s Resolutions. For me I call them a different name. I call them goals.  If I think of goals earlier I don’t want to wait till the new year to start making them come true. You don’t need to wait for a holiday to start something that will better yourself. In fact I started mine mid 2013 when I decided to do 3 half marathons in a year and now I have an additional goal of a full marathon in October of 2014.  It is easy to set a goal I have done that many times the hard part is following thru. So, when thinking of goals ask yourself what drives you. Why do you want this goal so bad?

So, let’s look at my goals. Why do I want to finish such a physically demanding race? A full marathon is no joke; you have to have the dedication to follow through.  So, why do I want to do this? Because it is something that I have thought about doing for about 5 years now, and something I have allowed negative thoughts to talk me out of because, guess what? I am scared. Being scared though is not a reason; it is an excuse, and an excuse to not live the life that you want to live. Do I want to look back on my life and have regrets or look back and say DAMN look what I have achieved!! I like the later of those 2; regrets are not for me and never have been.  I have pushed forward even when I don’t want to or life sends you difficult times I have persevered.  If I hadn’t pushed through I would never have gotten my Masters degree and that is something I am proud of.  The idea of not pushing through during that difficult time (it was when dad died) was not an option.

Just like in that case quitting was not an option; it is not an option in this case either.  I’m going through a bit of a melancholy time today, but tomorrow is another day and another day for reinforcement, another day to say I am worth it and another day to continue to work toward my goals for the coming year.  So if you really want to follow through with your goals or resolutions whatever you want to call them, go for it! I’d rather deal with fear and feel alive than deal with regret of what might have been. To me that is not even a choice. J

 
Have a great weekend everyone, and as always enjoy the journey.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment