Sunday, November 17, 2013

You're worth it!


Grateful I have the knowledge to work through my problems

 
Today’s blog post it going to get a little deep, but I think it is important. First and foremost you are worth it! That is what I want everyone to tell themselves when they are making some excuse not to work out.  Even if you are a busy mom and you think you shouldn’t take the time away from your children to exercise, tell yourself you are worth it!  Your children will benefit from you taking care of yourself. You are giving them a positive role model for them to look up to.  Each time you say “I don’t have time to workout,” “I am tired,” “I will do it tomorrow, or “I don’t feel like it,” you are basically saying to yourself I am not worth it! You are SOO worth it! Make this your mantra when you make up some excuse to not workout. Stop yourself and say, “No, I am worth it. Taking care of myself is important.”

 
This is something that I realized recently. My father was diagnosed with cancer and died within 6 months. I was not prepared for it and I was in complete denial that he would die.  Well, as we know that, in life, it doesn’t matter if we are ready or not. Life continues to move on. The past 10 years I have been struggling with my depression and anxiety and the whole idea that I am worth it. Struggling to understand why God took him and not me. Almost like a survivor’s guilt.  Since I already had clinical depression to begin with, it is not that far of a jump to feel this way and to feel you are not worth taking care of yourself.  It took close to 10 years to figure this out, but I realized this is life, this is what happened, and not taking care of you won’t change that. So, I am worth it. I am worth the 4 mile runs, the weight training, and the interval training.  I am worth eating healthy and getting plenty of sleep. I am worth it, and by not taking care of myself I was disrespecting dad’s memory. It might have taken me a while to realize that, but life is progress. You have to continue to look forward looking back won’t do you any good.

 
So, my half marathon is 2 weeks away.  This first half marathon training has been all about learning. Learning I am worth it. Learning what kind of training works for me, and having some bumps along the way. But it is all about progress to my happy healthy fit life.  

 
Well, I know these past 2 posts have been kind of heavy but remember I said I wouldn’t sugar coat anything. The next posts though will be much lighterJ. I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and as always enjoy the journey.

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your post Paula. It hits too close to home, unfortunately. But it's so true as well. I do need to make taking care of me a priority. My sciatic nerve is making that very difficult at the moment though. I am trying to continue to do things but it's a slow road that will take time! Thanks for the reminder. K

    ReplyDelete